Thursday, December 4, 2014

Senior what???

Reality check of self perception.

Took off yesterday afternoon to do some grocery shopping. I pulled into the Fry's parking lot to discover it was packed. What?? As I cruised through, my usual parking spots were filled. I can always get a good spot in this lot, what the heck is the deal? Finally grabbed one when someone pulled out. I got my own bags out of the car (hate plastic bags), snagged a cart from the cart rack outside and headed into the store. One other observation of the parking lot was the very slow moving vehicles and a cajillion people pushing carts.

I know this store well enough I can write my list based on aisles. I can usually cruise through the process pretty easily and fast-unless Chuck is with me.  If he is with me it takes FOREVER.

The place was a zoo, every part of the store and every aisle was packed with people and their carts. I couldn't believe how many times my cart was bumped, pushed and blocked by shoppers.  I started thinking "Did I miss some holiday that required cooking?" Maybe they wanted to stock up so they didn't have to shop Christmas week, probably a good idea.

Since I always shop with a list I can usually get in and right out. Not gonna happen in this case. I got the last of the list items in the dairy section and headed to the checkouts. I came up by the pharmacy and stopped. There had to be a line of at least twelve people.

Light bulb moment! Wednesday is blue hair day!! Nearly all of the people in the store were old. Well that explained the full parking lot and crowded store. As I looked around while in the checkout line I saw people writing checks!?!? Who writes checks anymore?

It was my turn to check out and the cashier was fast and smiling-thank goodness. Just as she was totaling my purchase she asked me a question. "It is senior day, 55+ so would you like me to put in the discount?" 

Stop.

Wow! She didn't question if I was 55+. She didn't want to see my ID, but if I wanted the discount as a senior. Oh man I must have had the deer in the headlights look on my face for a second and then I said "oh sure, why not."  A discount is a discount, and it got me about $20 off my purchase. I paid, I left and once I was in my car I called Chuck. "It's official Chuck, I am old!" I told him what happened and he howled with laughter. Ok not helping.

That's it, I had been letting my lovely silver/white hair grow out but I'm coloring it, that's settled. I don't want to look too much like my mom yet. I already have her knees and square face, but I can control my hair.

I will go to Fry's again on Wednesday's. I am not a fool and the discount is good. But now I will be prepared. Ego hit without warning is hard on this "old" lady.

-N

No comments:

Post a Comment